Friday, August 30, 2013

Another recipe

If you have read some of the entries in my blog, then you read where I mentioned "Vinegar Pie".    My cousin recently got together a small family cookbook.    Everyone who wanted a cookbook had to provide at least four recipes to go in it.    I gladly supplied four recipes, but I also asked my mom if she would put in Maw's Vinegar Pie recipe.    She did!!!   I could make these every day and they would not be as good as Maw's or my moms, but here is the recipe if you want to give it a whirl:

Susie's Vinegar Pie         Preheat oven to 350 degrees

1 c sugar
2 egg yolks
1/4 tsp salt
2 Tbsp. butter (margarine)
1 c cold water
3 Tbsp. flour
4Tbsp. Vinegar

Mix sugar, egg yolks, salt, butter, and flour in a little of the water.  Add the rest of the water and vinegar.  Cook over hot water for about 25 minutes until thick.  Pour in an unbaked pie shell and bake in  350 degrees oven and bake until the pie crust is nice and browned.

Make a meringue from the egg whites and put on top of pie and brown meringue.

(My mother's note on this recipe: Mom(Maw) used to make this and my kids loved it when I made it.)

Truer words were never spoken.    I absolutely love this pie, and have never heard of anyone else making it.  Most people say, "eewww Vinegar Pie!"  I say, "try it, you'll like it!"    It is similar to a lemon pie, but, oh, so much better.

I pray that you have a safe, restful, and stress free holiday weekend.    And if you make a Vinegar Pie, eat a piece for me.  gggg

Praise God from whom all blessings flow!!

hugs, Patty

No comments:

Post a Comment